Monday, October 27, 2008

Is thinking Anathema to religion?

Richard Dawkins thinks so.

He’s helped fund some bus advertising designed by the Humanists’ Association in the UK which says “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”



I reckon it’s a pretty interesting move. I have no opposition to their freedom to fund and take part in such a campiagn, but I think Dawkins’ comment that thinking is anathema to religion is well… pretty thoughtless.

It’s a throwaway comment with no basis in fact. Most modern universities began as theological colleges, whose sole purpose was to explore the meaning of life, in particular the possibility of a deity. I’m pretty sure there’s a great amount of thinking that’s gone on across the centuries… hence people like Augustine, Calvin, Luther etc


Christians have never run away from thinking and education, in fact christians have historically been at the forefront of education - they have an interest in people being able to read, and therefore read the bible. And theological colleges are thriving places of philosophical thought.


I think it’s a really naive comment to make, but not all that surprising. It’ll be interesting to see how the bus campaign goes - hopefully it’ll spark a bit of debate and conversation about belief in God.


*Note: I perfectly understand people’s desire to enjoy life, and I think you can enjoy life and believe in God - I’m living proof! Plus Jesus said he came to bring life, and life to the full.

No comments: