Thursday, October 30, 2008

Brideshead

I said I'd report back on Brideshead... so here goes.

Basically, they massacred the plot. They introduce one of the love interests WAY too early, and completely disregarded the plot as it flows in the novel/telemovie. It was still a good movie, I just think it failed to do justice to the original - guess that's the way with all adaptations.

Like I expected, the focus was on the love triangle and their Catholicism, but in a very crude, two dimensional kind of way. The story lost the complexity, for the sake of brevity.

They also failed to develop Sebastian's character.

On the positive - I did enjoy the actor who played Charles, he seemed more realistic. Charles in the telemovie is very quiet and sedate, a little too so.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

No comments: