Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wanting


I really only have one 'thing' on my Christmas list this year, the novel Wanting by Richard Flanagan.


I've developed a bit of a penchant for novels set in the 19th and 20th centuries, particularly for those set in Australia during the early period of colonisation.


From what I've read, Wanting follows the story of a Tasmanian aboriginal girl who is adopted and then abandoned by Sir John Franklin, the famous explorer. It also weaves in the story of Charles Dickens, because he turned the story of Franklin's arctic exploration into a play, called The Frozen Deep.


I think it sounds fascinating.


Other than that all I can hope this Christmas is quality time with family, and a joyful celebration of Jesus humbling himself to walk this earth.

No comments: