Monday, June 2, 2008

Semester wind-down

It's the last week of the uni semester, and because I work primarily at uni, this means my life will go into slo-mo next week for two months. Hopefully it means I can catch up on some much needed admin stuff and general preparation for things that usually end up too last minute.

It's been a very interesting semester - i've learnt a LOT. I came across things that I probably didn't imagine learning or having to struggle with, but I can attest it's a learning process that's more gain than pain :)

I've just started reading The Vivisector by Patrick White. I think my housemate's got money on me giving up before the half-way mark (it's 600-odd pages!). But I really want to try to finish it! I'm enjoying it so far. It's so cool to read a novel written in the 70s that mentions Newtown, Ashfield, Rushcutters Bay and Parramatta Road, and yet it's written by a Nobel Prize Winner! Us Aussies don't often get that far with our parochial references. I was inspired to pick up some PW after reading David Marr's article in the last Monthly magazine about his life. Marr wrote his biography, but recently some diary entries and manuscripts have been obtained by the National Library and Marr writes reflecting on the findings.

Will let you know how I go!

No comments: