Thursday, June 12, 2008

Reminiscing

Does anyone else remember these kids things from the 80s/90s?

The Berenstein Bears



It was a cartoon and story books about a family of bears that got into all sorts of capers. American, of course.

The Garbage Gang Kids



These we used to buy as collectors cards with bubble gum whenever we went to Richmond. We visited Richmond about once a year to visit my Grandfather's grave, weird connection to collector cards I know, but these things are totally connected in my memory - garbage gang cards, Richmond and Jim's grave. My brother and I would spend the car trip home eating way too much chewing gum and trading cards.

They depict a really weird collection of 'babies' or 'kids', a parody of cabbage patch kids, with names that are either gross or offensive. I think we liked them because they had a slightly naughty element. Not sure how/why mum and dad let us buy them. I think perhaps my grandma gave us both $2 and that's what we used to spend it on! I've never met anyone who remembers the Garbage Gang Kids (released in the UK as the Garbage Pail Kids). It was also turned into a movie, which I think Andrew and I saw.

Puddle Lane



A cute kids show about a wizard and his dragon friend. They tell stories and sing songs. I remember thinking it was so lifelike. I've since downloaded some clips on You Tube and it's all so amateur! But I can see the appeal, it's so cute and transports you to another world.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Berenstein Bears - oh yeah!
Garbage Gang kinds - nope
Puddle Lane - kinda, but not much

How about:

Hugga Bunch (this movie was stolen along with our VCR when I was little and I still miss it)

Punky Bewster (still have a video of this)

Rainbow Brite ( I think I have her horse Starlite at my mum's house)

soph said...

I didn't really get into any of them :(

it's funny how each family has their favourites!!

Ben McLaughlin said...

I loved Berenstein Bears- "mama papa sister brother, we appreciate eachother! We live in a split level tree, mamma papa sister and me.."

soph said...

hahaa awesome! Welcome Ben, too. I've popped over to see your blog too - great reading. And little e is so cute!