Thursday, August 27, 2009

The ever-knowing not knowing book

I have a full-time job working with Christians in the Media on a university campus, meeting up with people studying communications, encouraging them in their faith, running bible studies, reading the bible with them one on one, praying with them and hosting events for the group.

It's a very people-oriented job, which was new for me when I started in January last year. By nature, it's similar to being a chaplain or a counsellor. It's a job that employs both the intellectual and emotional sides to my brain - which makes it both tiring and rewarding.

I spend much of my time with an individual or a group, with the bible open before us, learning and growing as we sit in awe of God. These moments where I get to be with people as they have life-changing realisations, are such a privilege, partly because while they're having a lightbulb moment, I am too. I get to have little epiphanies every day.

I was reflecting just this afternoon how much I've learnt in the last 18 months, purely from spending most of my day with my head in the bible. At the moment, I'm probably reading 5 different books of the bible with girls from the Old Testament and the New, plus writing bible studies on all the minor prophets.

You'd think spending all my time in one book would be completely boring and monotonous. But it's not. The bible is endlessly profound, and reveals something new everytime you read it.

When I became Christian I wondered if my interest in the bible, and my faith would be something that would wither and fade as I grew older, like other interests had.

I can honestly say five years on, I can't imagine losing interest in the bible - and ironically, it's been studying it so in depth in the last 18months that has convinced me I'll never have plumbed its depths. It's one of those things where the more you know, the more you realise you don't know. And for this, I'm thankful.

No comments: