Thursday, March 13, 2008

Have you ever noticed...

...how craggy Gordon Ramsay's face is? As my housemate said, it's like a bassett hound.

I have quite a fondness for the show Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. I'm not sure whether to be ashamed about that or not - but I don't really care. I love it. Other shows I love but rarely see are Grand Designs, What Not to Wear.

And it's all about material stuff - houses, clothes and expensive food - three things I can't afford much. I hate to think I'm being caught in the aspirational trap, but I don't think I am, because I still live in a rental property, shop for clothes at K-Mart, and buy all my furniture at IKEA.

But it's not so much that I can't afford them, but that I know that everything I have and am is in Christ, and to be careless with my money is to snub God. It is a huge challenge not to be sucked into a consumerist blackhole though, isn't it?

3 comments:

Nixter said...

I confess I like Gordon's show too, except for his appalling language.
He certainly knows what he is talking about too.

The What Not To Wear crew came into film an episode in the store I worked at in London. Thankfully I wasn't in, I would hate to have known what they would have to say about my outfit ;) Ekkkk.

Bonnie said...

It is tough Soph, and something I really struggle with. I no longer buy fashion magazines beacause while I was, and still am, careful with the money God gives me I was lusting after things in those magazines. But I really love checking up on design blogs each day and don't find them nearly as tempting. Maybe because they aren't so forceful in telling you that this 'thing' needs to be in your life to make you better. They're more about just appreciating the beauty of it and sharing that joy with others.

Bonnie said...

PS. Grand Designs is my favourite TV show. EVER.