Friday, March 14, 2008

The Christmas before last I made my father a compilation of all his favourite music. I did it for a couple of reasons: Firstly, I wanted to know what his favourite music was, and to experience and savour it and secondly, I wanted him to be able to enjoy it all, easily and take pleasure in listening to it all in succession. So I painstakingly waited for him to write a list, then the searched iTunes store for these obscure pieces of music and bought them all and then turned it into two cds for him. He loved it!

Every now and then, when I'm in the mood I listen to some of his favourite music, and find it a totally unique experience. Not only is the music beautiful, but it is a window into my father's soul.

I just listened to Strauss' Four Last Songs, three beautiful classical compositions with amazing German lyrics. The four songs are "Spring", "September", "Going to sleep" and "Evening's Glow".

I particularly love "Evening's Glow":

Im Abendrot (Eichendorff)
Through trouble and joy we havewalked hand in hand;
we can rest from our wandering
snow, above the peaceful country-side.

The valleys fall away around us,
the sky is already darkening,
Only a pair of larks still risedreamily into the scented air.

Come here, and let them fly
For soon it will be time to sleep
and we must not lose our wayin this solitude.

O broad, contented peace!
So deep in the sunset glow,
How exhausted we are with ourwanderings—can this then be death?

No comments: