Thursday, September 11, 2008

Night Markets


Met a friend at Sydney Uni tonight to traipse through their night markets/zine fair, as part of the Verge Arts Festival.

It was a little disappointing - probably only about 20 stalls, but they were all super cute and selling cool stuff. I went away empty handed, not because it wasn't all desirable stuff, just didn't have money to spend.

It's funny, zines are kind of like blogs, but much more public. I bare my thoughts on this blog, but I have vague control over who reads it. With a zine, your words and thoughts are just disseminated.. like that. And often people write pretty personal stuff. Others write/draw mostly inane things, but still. It's gone out into the unknown all of a sudden.

I helped make a few zines a few years back when my friends and I were running this thing called Indie Church on one Saturday night each month. We used to have some original acoustic music, followed by chats/reviews/prayer and a talk, and then dinner. We met in an attic in Five Dock, and the run sheet was a zine. I put together the covers for the five that we actually published. My favourite was a montage of a whole lot of cool characters and pictures from a kindergarten japanese textbook.

No comments: