Saturday, February 26, 2011

jamming with elvis

At some point in his life, perhaps the bit where he was a hepcat bachelor living it up on the lower north shore, my dad was President of an Elvis fan club.

I inherited his love for music, but not really his love of Elvis. Until now. I've just been listening to the Million Dollar Quartet Recordings.

The story goes that one day in 1956, Elvis swung by Sun Records studios, where he found Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis. They had a jam session, which was precluded from making it onto the airwaves because they were each tied to various contracts.

But the recordings were finally unearthed in Elvis' Graceland home after his death in the 70s, and can I say, they are amazing.

I've just listened to a few of the gospel numbers on YouTube. I Shall Not Be Moved is so great:

No comments: