Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lessons in how to say Goodbye


Goodbyes are a great excuse to have a lot of fun and eat way too much. This week has been so lovely. One of my besties who lives thousands of kilometres away in Broken Hill happened to be in town and stayed with me for two nights. I have to admit we didn't go to bed until 2am the first night, and midnight the second. Let's be honest, we could've talked for hours more, but it was sweet while it lasted.

On Monday was a picnic with her and another friend, followed by gelato and coffee at Bar (*no skim milk*) Italia. One of the best picnics I've had in a while because it involved much lying about.

Tuesday was a catch-up over high tea with a lovely, old friend from uni days. I highly recommend the T2 teahouse, specifically their Blue Mountain tea. I have to admit the High Tea did make me feel ill for the rest of the day, but whatevs, I can't exactly blame the scones. Then I drove my lovely Jane to the airport and gave her a giant hug. Who knows when I'll see her next - but here's hoping she comes to visit me in Melbourne.

That night, I had dinner with my two favourite Tasmanians, followed by the movie Animal Kingdom. We had a fruit salad intermission for a bit of light relief and put on Flight of the Conchords straight after to try and mitigate the horror of what we'd seen. It was a great movie, but disturbing.

I planned to spend yesterday with another bestie, but woke up to 5 missed calls. Oh yes, that's right, I was supposed to be working. Woops! Scooted into work, with a very apologetic tone. Spent the day glued to ABC 24 watching flood coverage, much like today. Also spent a few hours out at court.

Last night was dinner with my brother, his girlfriend and my cousins. We started at Small Bar, then went to Waqu and didn't leave the restaurant till 11pm. Yes, I started work at 6:30 this morning. I feel fine. We had lots of fun, notwithstanding the "animated discussions" which dominated the latter hours. Let's not talk about placebos and scientific trial ever again! But with my family, I wouldn't have it any other way.

As you can imagine, the social steam train continues until the day I leave. It's a bittersweet feeling as I look forward to my big move, but also take stock of the amazing friendships I won't have at my fingertips for much longer.

And then there's my family. As I was lying in bed last night, I realised my Dad is turning 70 this year, and I will be in Melbourne for most of it. I have to admit tears began to fall from my eyes. There is a lot to be excited about. And a lot to prepare myself for. But God is good.

No comments: