Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010: A Soundtrack

Albums I listened to A LOT in 2010. Note: they're not all 2010 releases.

Angus and Julia Stone - Along the Way
Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can/Alas I Cannot Swim
Fionn Regan - The End of History
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Thad Cockrell - To Be Loved
Cloud Control - Bliss Release
Feist - The Reminder
The Swell Season - Strict Joy
Georgia Fair - Georgia Fair EP
Washington - I Believe You Liar
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt
Ryan Adams - Demolition

You've probably heard me go on about most of these guys already. But I don't think I've given a shout out to Fionn Regan or Georgia Fair yet.

Georgia Fair

Veronica and I lucked upon this Cowboy boot wearing two-piece supporting Darren Hanlon earlier this year. They're going for a pop/alt-country vibe and they have the aesthetics to prove it. I think they're heaps better live than on their EP, but what can you do? I downloaded it just before my holiday in South Australia, and played it a lot while excercising in the afternoons. So these songs will always be tied to running around the Angaston oval in the Barossa at sunset. Nice.

I came across this homestyle video of the boys singing Simple Man (not on their EP) a while back and it still puts a smile on my face. Chooks, dogs and all.




Fionn Regan

Then there's Fionn. A friend gave me this album and it's so very good. It's one of those albums you're never not in the mood for. It runs through all emotional landscapes and manages to be a winner right to the last outtro. I don't have his new album, but from what I've listened to online, it's not as folky, which (for me anyway), is a shame.

This little video is a track from the album, called Hey Rabbit. It's a lament about who knows what, but it's lovely.

No comments: