Saturday, January 8, 2011

In need of inspiration: help me

Tell me, who are the great writers of place?

Who can capture the smell, sight, sound and feel of the city, the ocean, the bush, a house, a room, a corner, a chair? Who can write how a place registers in your bones?

I hope to write more of 'place' this year, and I want to be inspired. In fact, I have a bit of a top secret idea for a writing project that will remain top secret until I've really, truly, properly got it sorted.

Until then, I just want to read the sublime words of others. So, tell me, who?

6 comments:

Calamares said...

well sally morgan wrote about (my) place....BAM

soph said...

haha oh James...

I guess given the overwhelming response from my WIDE readership (cough), I oughtn't scoff at your suggestion ;)

Kath said...

how about alex miller and tim winton. and i love sonya hartnett.
kath

Joanna said...

Peter Temple - in his latest two books - writes beautifully about Melbourne and country Victoria. And yes, I'd secomd the Tim Winton nomination.

soph said...

I can't believe I haven't heard of Alex Miller before, but now i'm seeing him everywhere. Keen to read.

Thanks for the recommendations too, Joanna. Will look them up!

soph said...

I should add, I recently read Cloudstreet for the first time (I know...) and loved it.