Tuesday, December 29, 2009

soundtrack to summer

I don't often buy cds - i put them in the "treat/non essential" category and because I don't have much money to spend on treats, they don't really get bought.

But I received some itunes vouchers for christmas, and now have a soundtrack to my summer:

1. Bon Iver, For Emma Forever Ago
From the awesome JagJaguwar label - I really only got into them when I heard Bloodbank earlier this year. I didn't end up buying the Bloodbank EP, because I figured I'd get their debut album first. It's stripped back, raw and beautful.








2. Noah and the Whale
Also quite stark and melancholy, much like Bon Iver. I sense a theme here.





3. The Middle East
Fantastic Brisbane band... also.. funnily enough... melancholy, and stark...



I don't know why I love melancholy music, I just do. Especially when it crosses over from melancholy to uplifting all of a sudden.

Still on my wishlist are:

Wilco - Wilco
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Fanfarlo - Reservoir
Swell Season - Strict Joy
Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
Dark was the Night compilation

No comments: