Friday, November 7, 2008

Another time, another world

Aren't these photos beautiful? I was reading an American design blog and it linked to the Library of Congress flickr collection. I thought I'd check it out. It's amazing! You can search through them with any terms you like. I started by searching "family" and then was lost in a stream of beautiful photos.

I studied American history in high school, and I really enjoyed it, but these photos just bring it to life.

It's seems fitting I discovered these a few days after the election first black president of the US...

They're so timeless I'd quite like to print them out, and I think there are no copyright restrictions.

1939 - Day laborers picking cotton, near Clarksdale, Miss.


1940 July - A store with live fish for sale, vicinity of Natchitoches, La.



1940 June - Boys fishing in a bayou, Schriever, La. Cajun children in a bayou near the school. Terrebonne, a Farm Security Administration project


1940 - Bayou Bourbeau plantation, a FSA cooperative, Natchitoches, La. A Negro family (?) seated on the porch of a house



1940 - Negro tenant's home beside the Mississippi River levee, near Lake Providence, La.

No comments: