Thursday, April 16, 2009

A slight whinge

I hope this doesn't come off as ungracious, but I need to vent.

Question: What is with people assuming that everything you do in your early 20s has to have a clear, stated goal and outcome?

People keep asking me what I'm doing with my career, where I'm going and how my current work moves me forward on that career path.

Why isn't it enough for there to be unique daily outcomes that aren't even oriented towards me and my so-called "career"? Why isn't it enough to be doing something meaningful each day? Why does what I'm doing right now, have to be a step towards some future outcome? What about today?! What about people's lives today?

Okay I think that's enough rhetorical questions for one post. And probably enough angst.

I understand my work is really weird and hard to define, and seems pointless to most people. But it's actually meaningful in and of itself, and doesn't need to have a five year plan tied up with it. The work isn't about me and my career, it's about impacting people's lives now with the life changing truth.

1 comment:

Stephcookie said...

Hey Soph :) I'm completely non-career driven, my parents translate this into 'lazy and unambitious'. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who feels like this!