Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bring on the storms


I love cold weather, but I really am looking forward to Spring. I'm also looking forward to Summer, and Summer storms.

When I was at high school I got really into science for a little while, well... pop science (Stephen Hawkings, Carl Sagan, that kind of science..). And one of the things that sort of came under that umbrella was a passion for stormy weather. I pondered becoming a meteorologist, until I realised that would involve data analysis in a boring office. What I really wanted was to chase storms. NOT Twister syle. But just to experience them. So when we were asked to do work experience, I emailed the NSW storm chasing society, asking if they were a profession, and could I tag along. I didn't actually want to pursue a career storm chasing, but if I could justify two weeks of chasing storms, then why not!? Well, the boring end to this story is they never got back to me. So I did work experience at a music magazine, and there began my interest in journalism. Slightly different career path to meteorology...

As parents do, mine latched onto my brief interest in storms and gave me this tragically bad dvd called "WILD WEATHER" for Christmas that year. It took me about 18 months to have the courage to watch it. I still have it, I just can't throw out something they gave me.

What phase did you go through? Did your parents buy you a matching present as bad as mine?

No comments: