Thursday, August 14, 2008

Am I just slow?

I have to say, I've been surprised how enthralled I've been with some of the Olympic coverage. I particularly enjoy the gymnastics. Anyone who can hold their body up with just some arm muscles while suspended in the air having competed on four other apparatus gets my vote.

But I just don't get the scoring...

You know, you're watching the dude swing round and round the high bar, doing a kick, a pirouette, a turn, and the commentators are all like "mmm ooh ahhh oohh mmmm" and making calls on things that are invisible to my eye. Sure, some things are obvious = you fall off, you lose. But in terms of what the judges are looking for I have NO IDEA.

Oh well, I just like watching them, go round and up and down. And round and up and down, and bam.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I'm not 100% sure, but judging from the commentary I heard one night I think it's more a case of starting with a perfect score at the beginning and losing points for each stuff-up (wobble, inbalance, taking a step when landing etc)?