Thursday, July 31, 2008

Talents you wish you had


We all have something we wish we could do. Over the years there have been many things I have wanted to be good at. I remember in early highschool I wanted to be good at horseriding, even though I only went about once a year at my friend's farm. And when I was at school, I wanted to be good at maths, even though I was really bad at it.

But really, both those things were never going to come in handy (sorry maths people! It's true., hehe) But something I really, really wish I was good at is drawing.

Ok some may argue this too would never come in handy, but imagine, I could make my own beautiful cards with amazing designs on them. I could play pictionary with great skill and ability, and actually make the dog look like a dog, instead of a nondescript animal like figure with out of proportion limbs. I could draw for pure leisure, instead of my terrible attempts at artiness which end in frustration.

I also wonder which part of our make up determines whether we're good at drawing or not. I assume it has a lot to do with spatial awareness, and visual thinking. See, when I draw, everything just comes out wrong. I can't do perspective, nor fine detail. Just jagged lines that only sometimes look acceptable in a 'homemade' arts and craft kind of way.

What talent do YOU wish you had?

*** The picture is of a drawing by Carson Ellis, one of my favourite illustrators. He does all the album artwork for The Decemberists.

6 comments:

onlinesoph said...

heaps! Though mostly, I wish I could sew.

I reckon you could take some classes to help you draw. At the very least, you could make something abstract...hehe.

soph said...

Yeah, sewing's on my list of "learn to do's" too..

Hmm I think even classes wouldn't help haha I'm that bad!

Nixter said...

There are many talents I wish I had. But to name a few here they are:

Singing
Sewing (I am with you guys)
Knitting (more than just a scarf)

I guess some things can be taught and others are just never going to be my bag!

Ben McLaughlin said...

I wish I could play piano. My life would be far better and more fullfilling if I can play the piano.

Bonnie said...

I'm with Nixter & Ben: I wish I could knit and sing.

I'm happy to teach people to sew if they want to know the basics.

Come over to my place one Saturday morning and we'll make you two a skirt each!

soph said...

ooh I might have to take up that offer :)