Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I've been thinking...

It's scary how much my upbringing/familial relationships have determined my response to daily situations.

I grew up in a somewhat ambivalent family situation, where you never quite knew what emotion would come next. Depression, terminal illness and alcohol don't really make for a happy environment. And these circumstances, and the patterns of behaviour I learnt has really moulded me into who I am, for better or worse. And I'm really only just now coming to grips with it.

It's been an interesting little journey, working it all out. And I still have a long way to go, but I'm glad I'm learning things about myself. It's like being given the keys to a chest that's been hidden under your bed all your life.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Thanks for sharing that Soph! It is amazing how much our family life affects us - but isn't also great that as we come to know our heavenly father more, we're able to unlock even better things hidden in that chest under your bed and to see how he is reshaping our lives for the better! Will be praying for you...

soph said...

Very true :) Thanks Aimee