Thursday, April 17, 2008

Death etc

James and I saw Grand Salvo play at The Factory Theatre in Marrickville last night, supported by Machine Translations, Holly Throsby and Firekites.

Grand Salvo (Paddy Mann) was a bit of a disappointment - his new album "Death" is even more sparse than the last, so it takes even more patience to experience live. However, I like the concept - the songs tell the story of some forest animals and a hunter. It's a dark fairytale musing on death and life.

Machine Translations played none of their old songs, much to my chagrin, but they're just as good as ever. Apparently their music is featured in the soundtrack to East of Everything - a show I miss because it's on Sunday nights when I'm at church - the new series starring Richard Roxburgh.

Holly Throsby... not a big fan. I think she's a bit overrated, but it was alright. She played sans band, which didn't create much atmosphere.

And I've never heard of Firekites, but the 7 minutes I saw of them when I arrived was more sublime than all three other bands put together. Spunk records were giving everyone free samplers at the door, and there is a track by Firekites on the cd, so I can have a deeper listen.

I think my love of music is on the return... perhaps I'll have another flirt with music journalism at some point. Sadly, Melbourne's the place to be as always. Shall have to plan a visit!

No comments: