Saturday, December 22, 2007

A new year, a new blog

It's a new year, and I'm aware there are people who can read my old blog who I probably don't want to read my blog. So i've decided to start afresh with blogger, and a new layout.

Also, most of the blogs I read are hosted by blogger, so I can now post comments on those with a profile.

I like how you can choose a photo for your banner. Mine is the view from the seventh floor of an apartment block where I lived with my brother for the first half of 2007. It was a pretty cool view seven stories up, except mostly what you could see was other units and the Westfield down the road.

I miss the height, the evening breeze, feeling like you're on top of the world.

It's funny, I've lived in three different places in the last two years, and i've grown attached to each of them in their own way. The first was Roseby Street Leichhardt, my first flatting experience. It was a bold move, going in knowing only one other person in the house. But I ended up becoming close friends with all four of my housemates. Some of my loveliest memories rest in that house. Memories like singing EMU songs at the top of our voices on Good Friday morning when the neighbours were probably asleep, holding spontaneous dance-offs in the hallway, going shopping every Sunday as a group, baking, baking and more baking, holding house parties, accumulating free furniture from the streets of Leichhardt, buying fish as pets and them successively dying, letting the grass grow to a stupid height and changing the lightbulbs in our eleven chandeliers. good times.

Then it was in with my brother while I waited to see where the ABC would send me. I slept on a mattress on the floor of his study. One wall was a glass sliding door, which let the morning sun in. It was lovely, except on super hot days. Living with Andrew was an experience. He's a generally easy going person, so we didn't have any conflict, but i have to say it was a bit strange at times. Particularly when either of us had friends over, or when he walked around in his boxers, sans shirt. But we're related, so it's okay.

And now, in Orange. I live in a double brick, 1930s home with a view of the mountain ranges, including Mount Canobolas. It faces south, so you can watch the weather roll in. One thing I don't like about the house is it has mottled glass windows, which you can't see through. I love watching the sky, and I can't do that from inside my house.

I spent today packing up my things in Orange, because I'm coming home in two weeks to start work with Christians in the Media. It's been a sad week, saying goodbye to all the lovely people I've become friends with, and saying goodbye to this house with its picture rails and stained glass. Not to mention extremely cheap rent.

Where to next? Well, i'm moving in with Jo, my best friend. Hopefully somewhere innerwest, like Ashfield, Summer Hill, Marrickville, Petersham, Dulwich Hill. It will be a 2 bedroom apartment, different again. I can't wait to see where we end up.

No comments: