Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To Dear Patrick

Yesterday a friend and I were in a second hand book shop and I was rifling through the poetry section, when I found a collection of Yeats. I opened up the inside, and saw this:


In case you can't read it: 
May 1975

To Dear Patrick - in partial fulfillment of the "first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world".

I like that it was written exactly 35 years ago - in May. But most of all, I love that it quotes the same part of the Great Gatsby that I quoted on this blog, just a few months ago. It's Fitzgerald's beautiful description of the Queensboro Bridge...

This kind of serendipity seems to be haunting me at the moment, in a good way.

I'm intrigued as to why this person decided to tie those two things together - Yeats and Gatsby?

I really should've bought the book, but decided $10 was a bit steep.

And I'm now considering becoming an inscription collector. For all the things to be considered crazy for collecting, I reckon it's a good one.

No comments: