Saturday, July 2, 2011

Falsetto

Listening to Justin Vernon on the latest Bon Iver album got me thinking - who else out there is rocking falsetto vocals?

How do you feel about men singing in a high voice? Generally I like it. In the right song, it adds a beautiful fragility.

Here's my little list of the best male falsetto singers, past and present. Who am I missing?

Justin Vernon (Bon Iver)
Thom York (Radiohead)
Sufjan Stevens
Antony Hegarty (Antony and the Johnsons)
Dougie Mandagi (Temper Trap)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Glen Hansard (The Frames/Swell Season)
Prince!
Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)
Jeff Buckley

For perhaps one of the creepiest/weirdest/best falsetto performances, here's Antony and the Johnsons' cover of Beyonce's Crazy in Love.



Update: I need to add: My Morning Jacket, Jens Lekman, Jose Gonzales, maybe some Fleetfoxes (esp. their harmonies).

No comments: