Friday, May 9, 2008

An admission

I like to think i'm a book nerd, and I guess I kind of am, but not really. I become bored very quicly with books that don't interest me. But not just that, I will start, say, 6 books within 6 weeks and not finish any of them, because I get distracted or bored. I started reading Virginia Woolf "To the Lighthouse" about three months ago, but I haven't picked it up in weeks! It was going too slowly and I wasn't working hard enough to get to the body of the book.

Is this normal? My dad used to tease me as a child saying "you never finish any books!" the truth is, I do, just not most. The last really interesting book I couldn't put down was The Secret River by Kate Grenville. I love good fiction, alas it is hard to find.

Today I went to the library for the first time in probably over a year! I just don't associate the innerwest with the library. I used to go when I lived with mum and dad, because it was close by and big and friendly. Whereas the Leichhardt library is pretty desolate, and doesn't have the best selection.

But I was after a good fiction book, so I went straight to "E" for Eggers, and I was pleasantly surprised. They even had his latest book, 'What is the What', but I decided on read 'You Shall Know Our Velocity'. The book actually starts on the cover, then reads over onto the inside cover, and has no index or blank pages.

I also went to their DVD section, and got Wives and Daughters, the BBC version of the Gaskell novel. It will keep me entertained this weekend for sure.

My other admission is that I have read hardly any period fiction, but I've a voracious appetite for their film adaptations! I think I just love getting to the ending quickly haha... also I love good screenplay. Not to say I don't love good writing, but man some of those novels go on and on and on. I wonder if my attention span is related to being a journalist at heart and really only wanting the punchline, the pithy grab?

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I just finished the Secret River! It was fanastic wasn't it?

If you ever want to borrow any period dvd's from me let me know. I've got a stack recently, including Jane Eyre, The Bucaneers, Lorna Doone and the most recent UK versions of Emma (with Kate Beckinsale), Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park and my mum keeps finding me more. (The Bucaneers is in USa format though)